Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Balkh governor embezzled millions of dollars: Mahmand

Balkh governor embezzled millions of dollars: Mahmand

By
On
Aug 09, 2017 - 18:14

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): A provincial council member in northern Balkh province on Wednesday claimed having ‘enough evidence’ to prove Governor Atta Mohammad Noor’s involvement in massive corruption.

The provincial council member, Mohammad Asif Mahmand, told a press conference in Kabul he had been living in Kabul over the past three months after Noor threatened him with death for exposing his corruption.

“Administrative corruption has reached the peak in Balkh’s local departments, no one cared when we protested about the issue.”

He said the evidence they had collected about corruption in Balkh were paid no attention due to the involvement of relatives and shareholders of Balkh governor.

He accused Noor of embezzling tens of millions of US dollars in different projects and said he had enough evidence of Noor’s corruption in Hairatan port, provincial civil hospital and municipality.

Mahmand said Noor had grabbed hundreds of acres of land and built illegal buildings on the land in the province.

The governor had signed the contract for revenue collection of the province with his relatives against an annual 210 million afghanis in commission, he alleged, saying some individuals and companies had been ready to sign the contract for up to 350 million afghanis.

Mahmand asked the government to appoint a delegation to assess corruption allegations against Noor and that he was ready to prove all his claims.

“The Balkh governor tried a lot to seize documents that prove his corruption from me, but he failed. He then decided to terrorize me,” the public representative said.

“I have been in Kabul for the past three months because Noor had threatened me with death, but I will go to Balkh a few days later and the governor would be responsible if something happened to me or my family,” he warned.

He said security forces two days ago arrested a group which had been directed by the governor to kill him. He did not provide more details and said the detainees were under investigation.

The governor’s spokesman, Munir Farhad, refused to comment on the allegations against Noor, who has been the governor of Balkh for more than a decade.

mds/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update