Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Dozens of troops killed and wounded in Taliban attack

Dozens of troops killed and wounded in Taliban attack

By
On
Apr 21, 2017 - 17:32

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Dozens of Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and assailants were killed in Friday’s Talibaninfo-icon attack on the Shaheen Military Corps in northern Balkh province, an official said on Saturday.

The attackers clad in military uniforms, including a suicide bomber, came in two Ranger pick-ups and stormed the military facility in northern zone of the country, said Dawlat Waziri, spokesman for the Ministry of Defense.

Qahar Aram, Shaheen Military Corps spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News one of the attack assailants detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at the entrance to the base before firing at the soldiers who were offering prayers in a mosqueinfo-icon.

He said the assault continued until evening, culminating in the death of five attackers and arrest of a sixth. Eight security personnel were killed and one policeman wounded.

But a reliable source claimed 66 soldiers were killed and 73 injured in the group attack on the military facility. The attackers, after entering into the facility, went to the mosque and fired at the soldiers.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack was carried out by the group’s fighters.  He claimed more than a hundred soldiers had been killed in the attack.

NATOinfo-icon’s Resolute Support (RS) mission condemned the assault in a statement, which said: “The attack on the 209th Corps shows the barbaric nature of the Taliban. They killed soldiers at prayer in a mosque and others in a dining facility.”

NATO Commander Gen. John Nicholson said: “The Afghan National Defence and Security Force and the people of Afghanistaninfo-icon have my personal assurance that we will continue to stand with them. We support our valuable friends and partners in the fight against terrorism.

“I want to praise the Afghan commandos who brought today’s atrocity to an end. Our thoughts are with the brave soldiers martyred today and their comrades, families and friends,” the US general added.

nh/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

مسابقه ملی عکاس

Advertisement

Twitter Update