Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Insecurity in Kunduz scaring away professional women

Women

نصيبه هولکر

Interviews

نصيبه هولکر

Insecurity in Kunduz scaring away professional women

By
On
Jan 15, 2017 - 10:44

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The deteriorating security situation in northern Kunduz province has led to a decline in the number of womeninfo-icon government servants besides forcing females to migrate to neighbouring provinces or foreign countries, an official says.

Acting Director of Women Affairs Naseba Holkar, in an exclusive interview, told Pajhwok Afghan News that growing insecurity had made the work environmentinfo-icon difficult for women in the province.

She called the departure of talented professional women from the province a huge loss. “Due to increasing insecurity, some women have fled to other provinces and foreign countries.”

She estimated the number of women staff in government departments at only 10 percent, believing the percentage could be enhanced if women’s capacity improved.

Special programmes be arranged for increasing women’s representation in the government, the director suggested. Provincial authorities had promised giving women more jobs and improving their overall situation, she said.

In addition, she recalled, the government had pledged appointing a woman district chief. But the commitment had not been honoured yet due to insecurity and threats, the director added.

She asked security departments to pay special attention to the safety of professional and talented women, whose representation in government institutions was not satisfactory.

Holkar said incidents of violence against women could not be registered. “Last year, 70 incidents of violence against women were recorded, but this year 54 cases have been registered.” The number of such case may be higher in areas under rebel control.

Torture, elopement and murder were the main incidents in 2016, but this year underage marriage and murder cases have seen a spike.

The director expressed concern over the escalating insecurity in Kunduz, saying that women could not travel to districts due to threats from rebels.

She said insecurity had forced women not to register cases against them and, therefore, a small number of incidents had been recorded this year.

nh/mud

 

 

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update